[haiku-development] Re: RFC: DriveSetup BikeShed proposal 1

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 15:56:49 +0200

Alexander von Gluck wrote:
> On 03.08.2012 08:24, Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > On 03.08.2012 15:03, Alexander von Gluck wrote:
> >> Nesting partition systems really doesn't make sense however. Given we
> >> fully support Intel extended partitions, I really don't even see a use
> >> for this.
> >
> > You could, for example, have a complete disk in a partition used for a
> > virtual machine. But that's about the only
> > thing that pops in my head :)

Yep, that was an application. Admittedly not a particularly common one, but
currently there's no alternative to DriveSetup to set something like this up at
all.

Also, since extended partitions are implemented as a separate partitioning
system, that requires nesting as well.

> >> I'm thinking of removing the option to write a BFS filesystem to a raw
> >> disk (in the gui at least) I've seen count less you tube videos of
> >> people unknowingly formatting BFS
> >> over a raw disk (which really isn't what they meant to do 100% of the
> >> time.
> >>
> >> This doesn't *prevent* advanced users from doing this, it just forces
> >> them to use the command line tools.
> >
> > I don't like this much, as you can also easily create images, and format
> > those via DriveSetup, also for example
> > encrypted images -- why would I want to waste time with an extra
> > partitioning system there?
> >
> > Maybe have an alert instead that explains what the user is about to do
> > instead? Dunno.
>
> Yeah, the disk image point is a good one. The alert was the other option,
> and definitely makes sense.

+1. I'd also go with the alert for nested partitioning systems.

CU, Ingo