[haiku-development] Re: RFC: DriveSetup BikeShed proposal 1

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 15:24:42 +0200

On 03.08.2012 15:03, Alexander von Gluck wrote:
Nesting partition systems really doesn't make sense however.  Given we
fully support Intel extended partitions, I really don't even see a use
> for this.

You could, for example, have a complete disk in a partition used for a virtual machine. But that's about the only thing that pops in my head :)

I'm thinking of removing the option to write a BFS filesystem to a raw
disk (in the gui at least)  I've seen count less you tube videos of
> people unknowingly formatting BFS
over a raw disk (which really isn't what they meant to do 100% of the time.

This doesn't *prevent* advanced users from doing this, it just forces
them to use the command line tools.

I don't like this much, as you can also easily create images, and format those via DriveSetup, also for example encrypted images -- why would I want to waste time with an extra partitioning system there?

Maybe have an alert instead that explains what the user is about to do instead? Dunno.

Bye,
   Axel.