[haiku-development] Proposal for Haiku locale resouses reorganization.

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:57:24 +0200

Good afternoon, gentlemen!

First of all I want to thank our Locale Team for the Big Deal they do. You
have made many peoples outside of English-speaking area really happy. Thank
you very much, guys! And please do not consider my following question as a
rude claim to the quality of your work. :-)

Well... Am I the only person that is unhappy with current placement of
locale resource (also known as catkeys) files? I found it a bit
unsystematized to spread localized resources over the whole source tree.
The second point is that there are many languages in this World but only
couple of them is used by a certain user/developer. I think this developer
is interested in updating only that part of localized resources, that are
used by him. This will save him the update time, network traffic and disk
space.

One of our Russian developers proposed following changes in the current
scheme:
a) move whole non-English localized resources in separate trunk with
mirrored directory structure, somewhere under ../trunk/locales/ or like
that;
b) allow to configure additional locales used by current working copy of
the Haiku sources tree. We found the UserBuildConfig is a good place for
this option.

What is your meaning about this proposal?

Thank you for attention!

--
Kind Regards,
   S.Zharski