[haiku-development] Re: Proposal for Haiku locale resouses reorganization.

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:41:58 +0200

2009/9/30 Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>:
> Good afternoon, gentlemen!

Hello :)

> First of all I want to thank our Locale Team for the Big Deal they do. You
> have made many peoples outside of English-speaking area really happy. Thank
> you very much, guys! And please do not consider my following question as a
> rude claim to the quality of your work. :-)
>
> Well... Am I the only person that is unhappy with current placement of
> locale resource (also known as catkeys) files? I found it a bit
> unsystematized to spread localized resources over the whole source tree.
> The second point is that there are many languages in this World but only
> couple of them is used by a certain user/developer. I think this developer
> is interested in updating only that part of localized resources, that are
> used by him. This will save him the update time, network traffic and disk
> space.

Good point. Note it is possible to use the sourcecode search feature
to find them. Also, while what you describe is the current usecase for
now (translation of the whole system in a new language), it will
change overtime. If a dev adds, remove or edit strings in an
application, then all the catkeys files needto be updated to reflect
that. If someone ever finds an untranslated or badly translated string
in an existing catalog, he will probably look for it along with the
sourcecode of the application.

Also, doing it this way was more simple for me when I put the system in place.

> One of our Russian developers proposed following changes in the current
> scheme:
> a) move whole non-English localized resources in separate trunk with
> mirrored directory structure, somewhere under ../trunk/locales/ or like
> that;
> b) allow to configure additional locales used by current working copy of
> the Haiku sources tree. We found the UserBuildConfig is a good place for
> this option.

This is simple to do, you can just copy the catkeys file, rename it to
have a .txt extension, and put it in the proper directory in the
image. This is designed so it's easy to create unofficial
translations. But it would still be better to provide us with the
files so we can integrate them in the official distribution :)

> What is your meaning about this proposal?

It's planned to get a simple website tool in place to track every
locale related work. This could be similar to the experimental one
used for the userguide translation, or more like trac, or like ubuntu
system... I'd like someone to take over this work, as I'm not
particularly a web-oriented developper. :)

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
Elève ingénieur ENSSAT EII1- www.enssat.fr