[haiku-development] Re: Old image

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:51:11 +0200

On 2009-04-15 at 09:57:21 [+0200], David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2009-04-16, Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Evidently the image I found at ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/haiku was
> > ancient, despite having a date of 13 April 2009. I unpacked it to find
> > that it was from about 2005. :(
> >
> > Got around the slow copy between drives problem eventually by zipping
> > the sources, copying that, and unzipping again. It saved about 6 hours.
>
> Can you give more details about your system?
>
> Have a look at ideinfo and idestatus.  I wonder if DMA is on for you.
>
> I just recently moved my development across to haiku on a EeePC.  It is a
> single drive and I zipped the sources from my BeOS machine, ftp'ed to the
> Haiku machine and unzipped.
>
> Unzipping took about 30mins or so.
>
> It was interesting how the machine worked while it was unzipping though.
> Lots of CPU followed by a long pause (presumably IO).  While IO was going
> on the system was unresponsive.

All this stuff certainly needs to be improved. I guess that Ingo's recent
work on the "whole system profiling" will help a lot.

Anyways, I wholeheartly recommend putting your work stuff on an extra
partition. That way you have the option to install a clean image without
loosing all your data, in case "jam update-all" isn't an option.

Best regards,
-Stephan