[haiku-development] Re: Old image

  • From: Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 18:17:36 +0000

David McPaul wrote:
On 2009-04-16, Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Evidently the image I found at ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/haiku was ancient,
despite having a date of 13 April 2009. I unpacked it to find that it was
from about 2005. :(

Got around the slow copy between drives problem eventually by zipping the
sources, copying that, and unzipping again. It saved about 6 hours.

Can you give more details about your system?

Have a look at ideinfo and idestatus.  I wonder if DMA is on for you.

I just recently moved my development across to haiku on a EeePC.  It
is a single drive and I zipped the sources from my BeOS machine,
ftp'ed to the Haiku machine and unzipped.

Unzipping took about 30mins or so.

It was interesting how the machine worked while it was unzipping
though.  Lots of CPU followed by a long pause (presumably IO).  While
IO was going on the system was unresponsive.

~> ideinfo /dev/disk/ata/0/master/raw
Model Number:     WDC WD80EB-28CGH1
Serial Number:    WD-WMA9N1650914
Firmware Version: 24.84G24

Capacity: 7.5 GB
LBA supported: yes

DMA supported: yes
DMA mode: 0x00
READ/WRITE DMA QUEUED: not supported

Write Cache: supported
Look Ahead: supported
Bus Release IRQ: not supported
Service start transfer IRQ: not supported
NOP: not supported
FLUSH CACHE: not supported
FLUSH CACHE EXT: not supported

CFA features: not supported
Removable: no
Removable Media State Notification features: not supported

Microcode download: supported
S.M.A.R.T: supported
Power Management: supported

~> idestatus /dev/disk/ata/0/master/raw
dma_status: dma enabled
pio mode: 0
dma mode: 0x00

I have 3 x 7.5Gb Western Digital drives in the system, all identical models. And it works fine under other OSes.

Rob