[haiku-development] Re: Minimize button

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:44:42 +0200

On 13.09.2011 09:35, Kit wrote:
As Rene (anevilyak) has pointed out here on the mailing list, and on the
bug tracking page, the current behavior is working as designed.

Still, please note that even in the days of the BeOS, some people also
shared your unease.

[...]

Basically, hiding/minimizing a window into the Deskbar is currently a hidden feature. I am personally not so sure if something as basic and expected as this should be found to be available via the user guide or by accident.

As you know, minimizing is executed via double-click on the title bar. One problem with this is that new users may double click to maximize a window, since that is the default behavior on other, more common platforms. Since there is already a button for an alternative window size (note: not for maximizing in principle, but interpreted by a few applications for maximizing), I see the logic in assigning the double-click to something which is otherwise unavailable: minimizing. I wonder, though, if there were two buttons, one for minimizing, one for alternate size, whether double-clicking would still have been assigned to the minimizing action. The real problem is that the minimizing action itself may be completely confusing to new users. Their window just disappeared and they have no clue how to get it back. They may eventually figure out to look in Deskbar, but I know for a fact, through experience running BeOS stations with eXposer at a film school back in the day, that this feature can greatly confuse users.

A dedicated minimize button wouldn't fix this problem, but at least users would better know what they did by clicking a dedicated button, versus double-clicking and perhaps even expecting something completely different to happen.

All in all, I can really understand the feature request.

Best regards,
-Stephan