[haiku-development] Re: Minimize button

  • From: Kit <kervas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 07:35:39 +0000

2011/9/7 Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:10 PM, Cabral Bandeira <baiacu@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have created 1 new enhancement ticket.
> >
> > https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/7962
>
> Please don't do this. The bugtracker already sends emails to let
> people know that a new ticket was filed, that doesn't mean you'll get
> an immediate response depending on people's free time though. There's
> no need to notify the dev list either way.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rene

Hello Cabral,

As Rene (anevilyak) has pointed out here on the mailing list, and on the bug
tracking page, the current behavior is working as designed.

Still, please note that even in the days of the BeOS, some people also
shared your unease.

It turns out there used to exist an easter egg to get some alternate
decorations.
See here, for a tip from 1997:
[ http://betips.net/1997/09/09/window-styles-of-the-old-and-famous/ ]

During the design of BeOS 6, and hence Zeta, there was an attempt to give a
way to have more variety in windows decorations.
Be Inc. even had plans to make the decor scriptable through a language
called Lua.
See here for some samples of window decorations in Zeta:
[ http://www.masuseki.com/be/shot_zeta.html ]

There are currently a couple of ways to try and have alternate decors in
Haiku.
One is FatElk's at [ http://67.219.227.56/fatelk/ ]
Another is TheDecorator [
http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/utilities/desktop-accessories/thedecorator]

As far as I am aware, none of these two choices allow for the minimize
button as they are now, but you are welcome to fiddle with them.

You are welcome to explore ways to have this functionality working on Haiku.

See if you may contribute to this yourself.

In my opinion, having so many choices for windows decorations is a trend
that died down around the late 90's, together with the popularity of
WindowBlinds by Stardock. (And I am a fan of them since the days of OS/2)

In fact, nowadays you'll notice that the most popular window themes on
kde-look.org and customize.org are usually imitations of Windows 7, Windows
Vista, and Mac OS X.

Mac OS X itself barely allows you to change the appearance of its windows
between two hues.
And personally, I like it that way.

Besides that, windows decoration is not currently a priority for our few
developers, who are already time-starved as it is.

On the other hand, there is a very neat feature that has been recently
implemented for titlebars (tab-bars?), it is called Stack and Tile.
Check out a video here:
NOTE: FLASH IS REQUIRED.
[ http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~lutteroth/videos/stack-and-tile.html ]

Cheers,