[haiku-development] Re: MimeType aliases.

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:53:22 -0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:

- It does not help in the case that what we want basically amounts to
multiple types associated with a file. For example, we could have a text
editor application that would generate files with some XML-like
formating and that associates the application/myapplication MIME type to
documents created by it. Cnsidering the document is plain text we may
want to also associate this file with text/plain or text/xml.

That's not a good example, as that should be solved by setting the preferred app for this file differently, and not pretending it's something else.

I was not thinking about the preferred app. I was thinking about cases like Microsoft Word documents (application/word). Anyway, every single text/xml is an specialization of text/plain so we could conceivably have a file with both types associated.

Of course, it can still be desirable to assign more than one type to a file in a different context.

Well, I think we would want to do that even in this specific context.

-Bruno