[haiku-development] Re: MimeType aliases.

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:47:53 -0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:
I discovered that older versions of SoundPlay (v4.7.3 and below, more specifically) work almost flawlessly(*) under Haiku so I started it on
all my Haiku installations.

flawlessly(*)?

Yeah. O forgot to add a note at the end.of the email (as it was already big enough). Some stuff does not work (using the VESA driver):

1 - Under R5, when you drag a MP3 file over SoundPlay's window it would show an animated "ant line" that would be either green or blue depending on if the file would be added to the playlist or if it would replace it. This does not show up on Haiku.

2 - When dragging the replicant to the Desktop, it would add an alpha blended shadow to it (this behavior can be changed on its preferences). Under Haiku the shadow is just a solid black block.

3 - The QING plugin works perfectly in windowed mode but when switching to full screen the colors get completely messed up. This one is definitely VESA's fault as on my laptop with a radeon card it works as expected.

Point 3 above reminds me of another thing:

Is it intentional that we do not support different resolutions per workspace as R5 did? I am asking because you get funky results if you switch QING to fullscreen (it changes the resolution to 640x480), switches to a different workspace and thne back to QING's workspace.

audio
   mpeg
   x-mpeg -> mpeg

For what types is aliasing actually useful?
If it's just for the "x-" part we could put a little logic in the BMimeType implementation that automatically kicks out the x- if it couldn't find a type and retry without it - at least the usage of "x-" is standardized.

x- is not the problem. I also have audio/mp3 on my system (and I don't think this is any kind of standard) which also refers to the same type used in the examples. This one I got by downloading an MP3 file from the internet.

Of course, that wouldn't help (but neither does your solution) if SoundPlay or other apps would write the x- type into the file directly (checking and preferring a known type by default might be a bit slow there).

I don't think I understood what you mean. If an application creates an arbitrary filetype that we do not know about, of course we can not avoid it creating it. But we can later make it an alias for another type (my solution takes this into account). We could, of course, special case the x-type -> type conversion but this won't solve the audio/mp3 problem.

-Bruno