[haiku-development] Re: MimeType aliases.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:18:33 +0100 CET

Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I discovered that older versions of SoundPlay (v4.7.3 and below,
> more
> specifically) work almost flawlessly(*) under Haiku so I started it
> on
> all my Haiku installations.

flawlessly(*)?

> audio
>    mpeg
>    x-mpeg -> mpeg

For what types is aliasing actually useful?
If it's just for the "x-" part we could put a little logic in the
BMimeType implementation that automatically kicks out the x- if it
couldn't find a type and retry without it - at least the usage of "x-"
is standardized.
Of course, that wouldn't help (but neither does your solution) if
SoundPlay or other apps would write the x- type into the file directly
(checking and preferring a known type by default might be a bit slow
there).

Bye,
   Axel.