[haiku-development] Re: Making updated partition bootable

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:23:45 -0400

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 6:10 PM, <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As long as it's not so automatic one has no knowledge of what it's
> actually doing!  I've grown so paranoid about automatic updates and
> so on that I'm probably irrational by this point.  [Well, with Microsoft,
> paranoia is probably justified...]  But even things like Ubuntu's "Symantic"
> usually drive me crazy.

I'm also not too fond of those systems (especially Windows Update) so
hopefully we can do something better. The main point will be to allow
easy updating of Haiku when the user wants, with optional and gentle
reminders when new updates are available.

> Don't know Courgette, but if it's transparent to the user it could
> be good.

Courgette is really just a method for making small binary updates that
only change what needs to be changed. As compared to massive hundred
megabyte updates put out by Apple for example. I'm sure we will have
to add some other amount of infrastructure and will have plenty of
room to make exactly what we want.

--
Regards,
Ryan