[haiku-development] Re: Making updated partition bootable

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:10:16 -0700

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 05:07:45PM -0400, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM, <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately the update process is pretty slow with my setup (a couple
> > of hours usually by the time I do the download, unpack it, copy it to stick,
> > and run an Install), so I tend to put it off.  And then of course I have to
> > fix those broken links and overwritten settings from my custom changes.
>
> Hopefully this is something that can be resolved sooner rather than
> later, though probably not before the alpha.
>
> I plan to experiment some with Google's Courgette updating system for
> the browser project and then maybe can try it for Haiku too. Of course
> with something as complex as an operating system it might take a while
> to iron all the kinks out. But I have some ideas. The eventual result
> being fairly automated and in-place upgrades of Haiku, like most other
> modern OSes :)

As long as it's not so automatic one has no knowledge of what it's
actually doing!  I've grown so paranoid about automatic updates and
so on that I'm probably irrational by this point.  [Well, with Microsoft,
paranoia is probably justified...]  But even things like Ubuntu's "Symantic"
usually drive me crazy.

Don't know Courgette, but if it's transparent to the user it could
be good.

Cheers,

-- Pete --