[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps application UI

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:37:52 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 22:33:26 +0200 CEST
> Von: "Jonas Sundstrom" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxx>
> An: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [haiku-development] Re: Keymaps application UI

> "Remi Grumeau" <remi.grumeau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > http://remi.grumeau.free.fr/haiku/keymap_2.png
>
> I´ve never been quite at ease with how R5 presents
> the keymaps. I hope this is already different in Haiku.
>
> The cardinal error IMO is that the preferences does
> not show the -name- of the keymap currently in use.
>
> I understand that there may be some value in the
> distinction between keymaps provided by the system
> and keymaps provided by the user, but this division
> is probably not obvious (or meaningful) to a person
> who is not aware of the system/user division at the
> filesystem level. In this case:
> /boot/beos/etc/Keymap/
> ~/config/settings/Keymap/
>
> Most people are going to have a keymap which was
> provided with the system, yet User / (Current) will
> always show as the selected one, after having pressed
> [use], and when opening the preferences again. This
> communicates very little (current == what keymap??)
> and flaws the system/user distinction since in reality
> a _system-provided_ keymap is the one currently in use.
> (in my case, and in most cases)
>
> Plus the artwork is a little stale.
>
> Anyway, enough of my ranting.

+1. I hope the suggestion in my earlier reply would fix this. I am in favor of
a single list and if that was not clear already, I obviously want the current
keymap highlighted. If the user has not changed any keys, it would just
highlight the original system provided entry in the list. If the user makes
changes, it would automatically save a new entry at the bottom of the list
after a separator line and derive the name from the system keymap initially,
perhaps even with a way for the user to provide a new name. But all in a single
listview.

Best regards,
-Stephan