[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps application UI

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:52:24 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 20:20:17 +0200
> Von: "Andreas Färber" <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
> An: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [haiku-development] Re: Keymaps application UI

> Am 24.08.2008 um 19:47 schrieb Stephan Assmus:

> >> Someone coming from a Windows/etc. background might misinterpret the
> >> distinction between System and User as referring to a multi-user
> >> context, where System determines the keyboard layout for the login
> >> screen etc. and User the one used for the current user after login.
> >>
> >> So it might make sense to keep two lists in some form, but for the
> >> current use of only having "(Current)" and user-saved maps under User
> >> I agree that we could merge them into the User list.
> >
> > I didn't mean to put the words "System" and "User" in there
> > somewhere. I just wanted one list with the names of the system
> > provided keymaps. There is no item "Current" or "User", but one of
> > the keymaps is simply highlighted. If the user saved a custom
> > keymap, then there would be a separator line at the bottom of the
> > list and his personal keymap there with name that he gave to it. It
> > probably has a default name of "Custom" or even "User" perhaps when
> > the user is asked to save it or it is saved automatically when he
> > changes the current keymap. Best would be if it would be "German -
> > Modified" by default for example if the user first selected German
> > and then changed some keys. Best not to even ask to save it but just
> > do it.
>
> But currently we do have them. :)
>
> Even though you might have not meant it, I am still raising the issue
> that we will have to deal with a multi-user scenario at some point. We
> will then either need two lists again, or one list and a dropdown
> list, or one list and a button or menu item.

I don't understand why. What I described works regardless of multi-user. Each
user would then simply get his own list of custom keymaps that he created, if
he ever changed any of the system keymaps. I mean the Keymap preflet would show
a different set of custom keymaps depending on which user opens it. Or do you
want users to see each other's keymaps?

In any case, I feel just very strongly against a popup menu, since popup menus
are not meant for many entries, it takes way too much time to navigate and find
the entry you want. A list view with "type ahead" is much better suited.

Best regards,
-Stephan