[haiku-development] Intel GMA X4500 Video Handholding?

  • From: Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 00:10:39 -0800

I previously inquired about supporting my LCD display's 1400 by 900
resolution, and it was suggested that I add the PCI Device ID for my
graphics controller to the intel_extreme driver.

The Detailed tab in the Devices app says that the Device ID 0x2e22 is
a VGA compatible controller, but my motherboard doesn't have a VGA
socket on it.  The 0x2e23 is just listed as "Display controller",
without any mention of VGA.  Would that be the controller for my DVI
port?

I think the 0x2e23 is an Intel Graphics Media Accellerator X4500 or
maybe X4500HD.  I'm having some trouble finding the Intel datasheet
that lists the 0x2e23 Device ID.

I tried just adding 0x2e23 as INTEL_TYPE_GMAX4500 to:

  haiku/headers/private/graphics/intel_extreme

and then added INTEL_TYPE_GMAX4500 to the supported_devices table in:

  haiku/src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/graphics/intel_extreme/driver.cpp

I did a rebuild from the top-level, then verified with ls -l that the
intel_extreme driver had been rebuilt.  I installed it on my target
box, rebooted and...

... still got VGA video - my video controller is still not recognized. ;-(

Still I've made some progress in being able to figure out where all
the sources are, and to do builds and stuff.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to how I can figure out why my
controller is still not recognized?

I'm about to hook up the serial port to my Linux box so I can look at
debug output.  However my test box' serial port is on a PCI card -
will that work as-is, or will I need to patch the sources somehow to
be able to use a PCI serial port?

There is an integrated serial port on the motherboard, but I don't
have the necessary cable.

This is all very exciting, to finally be hacking Haiku drivers.

Thanks!

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford