[haiku-development] Re: Haiku self-hosting.

  • From: Luposian <luposian@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 18:01:28 -0700

On Apr 1, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Urias McCullough wrote:

On 01/04/2008, Luposian <luposian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
 The system reboots, and you go back into Haiku.  Look for your files.
ANY of them. It can be 1 file or a dozen of them... they're NOT THERE!
  Where'd they go?!?  They went bye-bye.  Why?  Because, although
EVERYTHING said they were put on the disk, nice and safe and secure...
 THEY WERE NEVER REALLY THERE!

Are you f'ing kidding me? You're still going on about this myth?

Must be due to April 1.

You think this is a MYTH?!? Do you honestly think I would be going totally ape shat, constantly complaining about it, making myself an absolute Pain In The Mule, making a bunch of people (if not EVERYONE) in the Haiku developer community utterly hate/mock me... if this was a frickin' MYTH?!?

Copy a file in Haiku (while I don't think running it in an emulator should matter, run it on REAL hardware, as that is what I am using). Small, large, 100Mb, 500Mb. It doesn't matter. Wait until it looks like EVERYTHING is done. The drive light is no longer lit or blinking at all. Then wait even 30 seconds longer than that (just to make ABSOLUTELY sure Haiku is happy). Hit F12, to go into Kernel Debugging mode, and then type "reboot". When you reenter Haiku, look for where you copied your file. On my system, it's gone. Any number of files I've ever copied or unpacked or created... are gone when I do this ("spontaneous reboot").

If your files are there, then I apologize. It must be my particular hardware. But I can duplicate this thing every single time on my system. Every revision I've downloaded or JAM'd does it, on my system.

And, in case you're thinking I'm STILL ranting about "The Luposian bug", I am not. Copying files doesn't KDL the system at all, any more. I've TRIED to crash Haiku, copying up to three 500Mb folders on my system (with 512Mb of RAM). I get little "a general error occured" type messages, during the copy, but the system keeps going... and going... and going!

No, this is another thorn. One that I think is just as critical, but even MORE so, because the more Haiku appears to be able do (and the more robust it appears), the more people will EXPECT it to do! And if it says files you've copied or unpacked or created are on the disk and your power goes "blip!" and all your files are gone... don't you think that's gonna make just a few people unhappy?

Yeah, yeah... I know... "Haiku is pre-Alpha!" (or it was awhile back... has it reached alpha status yet? I keep reading about this "Alpha 1" status) but file processes (writes, of one kind or another) on a disk are fundamental to an OS's basic operation. Try to use ANY OS without any files being copied or unpacked or created. If it couldn't (or those processes were unreliable), wouldn't you consider that OS fairly worthless?

Haiku is growing up (maturing) fairly quickly, the further we get along. And the older it gets, the more people will come to expect of it. Let's not let them down, shall we? :-D

Luposian