[haiku-development] Re: Greetings, Earthlings.

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 07:17:54 -0700

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just subscribed.
>
> I was a BeOS developer since the DR8 days, but I had a rather famous
> falling out with Be as a result of their Change in Focus, and have
> hardly touched the BeOS since.  But I'm developing a Free Software
> audio application called Ogg Frog and intend to support both BeOS and
> Haiku from Ogg Frog's first release:
>
>   http://www.oggfrog.com/free-music-software/
>
> I've been a software engineer for twenty-one years, mostly on the
> Macintosh.  Since '97 most of my work has been in C++.  Here is my
> calling card:
>
>   http://www.goingware.com/resume/
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> - Can I install Haiku directly on a PC without using VMWare?  The same
> PC will have BeOS 5 Pro, so I could use the BeOS to format  Haiku's
> filesystem and make Haiku bootable.
>
> - Will BeOS 5 Pro's boot menu see a Haiku installation?
>
> - I'd like to start with a Haiku build that has been tested somewhat
> and is thought to be stable.  Which one do you recommend?
>
> - I'm in Silicon Valley.  I live in South San Jose and work in
> Sunnyvale.  Who'd like to meet for coffee or a beer?
>
> Thanks! -- Mike
> --
> Michael David Crawford
> mdcrawford at gmail dot com
>
>   Enjoy my art, photography, music and writing at
> http://www.geometricvisions.com/
>        --- Free Compact Disc ---

Welcome aboard.  There's a few of us in the Bay Area now.  We get
together a few times a year.  Depending on if any Haiku devs come out
for the Google Summer of Code mentor summit we might try to get
together that weekend.  Three devs flew out last year, but not sure if
any are coming out this year or not.  Any mentors on this list know if
they are coming out this year, and if so what days do you plan on
being here?
-scottmc