[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - An outsider'sthoughts

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 07:39:57 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>,
> On 2011-04-16 at 01:37:12 [+0200], Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It's an appealing idea.  RFC822 headers, MIME, base64 decoding,
>> even multi-line headers and CRLF line separators, it's a giant
>> nuisance.
>
> On the other hand the existing mail clients do support all that already and
> have to continue to support it for POP3 (and in reverse for SMTP).

Although, given an IMAPFS implementation, if there's much interest
POP I suppose it wouldn't be much extra trouble.  Of course I'm
a little fuzzy on what existing mail clients are going to get out
of IMAPFS anyway.

> ATM queries don't work on content anyway. Only the header is needed to
> provide the same functionality. Working query support is a must-have.

This point probably will call for some clarification before the
final proposal is written up, I don't think the plan for headers
has been fully sorted out.

[... re Node that supports file I/O and also directory ops ...]

> It would be possible, but depending on what node time stat() reports
> unsuspecting programs would expect only either the file or the directory
> functionality to work (there is no "dile" node type :-)).

I actually browsed through some slightly outdated source and
had the impression it simply couldn't work with existing vfs,
though perhaps it wouldn't take much work for vfs to support it.
As you say, a new node type or extension, and support for it.

I've seen this kind of thing used for other reasons, e.g. a
sort of "fat" application that actually may include multiple
binaries for different architectures, so it's a file if you
look at it that way though actually a collection of files.
Rather than various weird ways to get "forks" out of a file
node.

I guess the unsuspecting program would always get what it expects,
which seems all right.

But of course at best it would be awfully ambitious for the
present, just something to think about for later.

        Donn