[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - A few queries

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:29:59 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

> - client would be the mail app.
> - cat would just dump what is already there; the header or the complete
> message.
>
> Think that is no to bad, in this way you can just look at the header first
> and decide to download the message or not e.g. using a spam filter.

See, to me, a filesystem is a way that you can do everything with cat.

If we already have a mail daemon, and we are going to need a mail app
anyway to make anything happen with special ioctls, we might as well
use BFS and just assign a mail application to manage the files in the
way you describe, with a scripting interface for any external applications
that might want to be involved.  Not much extra value added by making it
a special filesystem.

        Donn