[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - An outsider'sthoughts

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 08:21:01 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth Anshul Singhle <xashck@xxxxxxxxx>,
> Reg query support - As ingo pointed out, in the first implementation, mail
> content will be non-query-able. Mail headers will be retrieved when the FS
> is mounted, Files created for each message and attributes set from the
> headers. The query support will be implemented in such a way that the
> attributes(header) of each file (message) will be query-able as soon as the
> message is retrieved.

Mount should indeed probably fetch headers, but it doesn't
need to fetch the whole header section of the message.  For
example, your message by the time it arrived here has 12 Received:
lines, a bunch of stuff pertaining to haiku-development, etc. -
adds up to about 5Kb, of which only a small fraction is of
interest at mount.

Some of the header values will be encoded printed-quotable,
in various character sets.  The queriable data probably ought
to be UTF8, but the original header also should be preserved,
including multi-line structure (and I suppose CRLF separated.)

Those are a couple of complications that come to mind.  When
you say "mail headers will be retrieved", when you get around to
the final proposal I think it should be more specific.  You
may retrieve some headers at first, all of them later, put them
in both attributes and file contents, process them differently
depending, etc.

        Donn