[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - A few queries

  • From: Anshul Singhle <xashck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 17:10:46 +0530

I'm working on a revamped proposal and I have a few queries :

1. One of the essential features is downloading mail headers only. I need
some advice on how this would work. Consider the following:
    Mail header is downloaded as a file with attributes as usual, but the
file contains only the Sender , The subject and the date. the natural
question now is how would the user ask for the full message to be
downloaded? Will a tracker-addon be sufficient? so that you simply
right-click the message and you get an option to download the whole message?
2. Query support : I want the emails to be query-able in much the same way
they are now? Does adding query support require anything special? AFAIK, if
I make all the query-able entities file attrbutes then queries should work.
Is that right?
3. Cacheing : the big question is - how much mailbox data should we save on
disk? Currently atleast the headers of every mail that has not been deleted
will be saved. Of course the user can be given options so that mails before
a particular time are not stored on disk. I read some discussions on the
topic of mails and discovered that some users want the Filesystem to be a
virtual reflection of their IMAP accounts. The question now is when should
the mails be retrieved?
4. Deletion : Based on how Gmail and other clients such as Thunderbird work,
the /Deleted flag looks like bad news. So this is how I propose deletion
should work-
   When the user deletes a mail, it is moved to trash folder on his FS as
well as his server. To remove the mail completely, goto your trash folder
and delete the mail from there, it will be removed from your computer as
well as the server.
If a user wants to empty the cache on his computer, he can do so. The FS
will get mails recieved after the last cache-empty event. The user can also
archive certain mails, so that they remain permanently on his archive(The
archived mails are not touched on the server, they only stored in a seperate
folder on the user's computer) until of course the users deletes them from
the archive after which they behave like normal deleted mails.