[haiku-development] Re: GSOC Idea Suggestion

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:37:14 +0100 CET

Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2009-03-25 at 14:55:55 [+0100], Ziyu Yu <yuziyumail@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > > Haiku already has a read-only ext3 file system. If you think you
> > > can
> > > add write-support, that would be useful. I cannot judge if the
> > > amount
> > > of work is appropriate for three months.
> > Maybe write support for Ext3,reiserfs, and UDF is large enough for
> > a gsoc
> > project?
> > I'm not familiar with later two filesystems, but I think things may
> > be
> > similar..
> I would make an application for the one file system that you are most
> comfortable with, and then mention that you could keep working on
> other
> filesystems if there is still time left. However, testing needs to be
> throughrough and may be time consuming. So that shouldn't be
> underestimated. :-)

While a read-only FS can usually be written pretty fast (depending on
what kind of structures the FS is using), write access is not that
easily done. But since we have a userland file system, maybe we can
port libext2 to that one -- I guess it doesn't support ext4 yet,
though.

BTW I plan to add ext4 read support to our ext2 add-on, but there is
some other stuff I want work on first. But that wouldn't be a GSoC
candidate anyway.

Bye,
   Axel.