[haiku-development] Re: GSOC Idea Suggestion

  • From: Salvatore Benedetto <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:37:02 +0100

2009/3/25 Mauro de Wit <maurodewit@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Why?
>
> The primary goal of Haiku is to recreate BeOS R5. (at least for now)
> The focus should be on functionality which brings us closer to an
> alpha release or functionality which brings significant improvements.

Improving FS support does indeed bring significant improvements.

> Ext3 doesn't do both and neither does a /proc filesystem (another
> proposition). In my opinion Haiku should stick with the R5 way and not
> become another linux like OS. Implementing yet existing functionality
> makes the OS more bloated and brings fragmentation.

Perhaps you missunderstand his point. It's not about installing Haiku
on an ext3 FS, but actually being able to read and write other volumes
with other FS.

We definetely don't want to be like windows.

Regards,
--
Salvatore Benedetto (a.k.a. emitrax)
Student of Computer Engineer