[haiku-development] Re: Funding Idea/Leveraging User Irritation for more funding opportunity's

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:08:12 -0400

Axel Dörfler wrote:
That would be pretty much the same as bounties. And those just really don't work that well as we know; the payment is just too little for the risks you take.

BTW: that probably fits better on the haiku-inc list than here.

A ticket donation/pledge system could be highly effective.

My motivation for bringing this to the table is as follow, Haiku has gone from a bounty type contract to employing a full time developer. That full time developer is going to need income if he is to recontracted. It should not have to be implemented in Trac. I know there are a few pledge/donation sites available for nonprofits.

The reason I mentioned splitting the proceeds was to reward the developers for fixing the bug and also provide funding to Haiku Inc to distribute to Haiku Os developers.

Either way, Haiku has to find a way to create funding if it wishes to maintain full time development work.I certainly don't mind making financial contributions myself as I can't really help with the programming side. Either that or its time to go knock on every funding door out there.I have been compiling a list of contact and funding sources and that is going to be on the Haiku inc list in a month or two. Its a big list and its taking a while to figure out who to contact.

I know you think this is akin to bounty's, but in this case if the developer/s on contract fix the ticket 100% of the proceeds goto Haiku inc to continue long term employment contracts. Cash flow is king.

 Sean