[haiku-development] Re: Disable BView antialiasing

  • From: Caitlin Shaw <rogueeve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:17:18 -0700

And you still have not been able to convince me why any user should
know about the AA vs. non-AA difference, and more importantly, why
they should be able to influence this. The problem is a
developer-problem, they decide how their software works and they
decide how it is presented.

But feel free to convince me though :-)

I can't see this flag idea being anything more than perhaps an option for power-users in a text-based config file somewhere. Do we really want to prompt end users about something like this in the application info panel? Ok so this in an issue that should be fixed but it is only one *little* thing out of a whole lot of things left to do and things that will come up. If Haiku starts dealing with issues like this by adding checkboxes I have visions of a file info panel with 50 checkboxes in it. Yes it is probably simpler at load-time than doing a heuristic but I think if you are going to try to detect these apps a platform heuristic is the best choice.

Of course even simpler than all of that if you want something to be compatible is to just implement BeOS line-drawing calls the way BeOS does and have a new Haiku-specific function to turn on the new anti-aliasing features. It seems though that most people would prefer it be on by default out of a concern of apps looking dated. Keep in mind that this is only a scuttle enhancement affecting diagonal lines and circles, which are really not particularly common in most apps. I think your icons, layout, how you draw 3D beveling etc have a bigger total effect on an app's look than whether diagonal lines are anti-aliased or not.

Beyond that though I will not argue that point, as as I said before it does not much matter to me what the default state is. I guess the point of this post is that this is a relatively small little thing, and I'm just saying that if Haiku starts adds complex rigamaroles around little things to ensure backwards compatibility, well those things will eventually pile up, and that's exactly what the BeOS team was trying to get away from when they started with a clean slate.