[haiku-development] Re: Disable BView antialiasing

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 23:55:36 -0400

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Caitlin Shaw <rogueeve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I never noticed that, but it still isn't, actually, and also now that
> you mention it the line is backwards! That is, it's a forward slash,
> like "/", whereas the international No symbol is usually a backwards
> slash.

Hahaha, you are totally right, good catch! Though a quick search
online shows both variations the backslash is the correct
international version. To be fair it looks like we just got this from
BeOS:

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/settings/screensaver/beos5-1-1.png

> I looked at the code and sure enough they are using StrokeEllipse
> and StrokeLine--I'm surprised, I assumed it was just a bitmap.
>
> If you change the code from:
>
>    size -= ceilf(sin(M_PI / 4) * size + 2);
>    rect.InsetBy(size, size);
>    StrokeLine(rect.RightTop(), rect.LeftBottom());
>
> to:
>
>    rect.left += 3;
>    rect.top += 2;
>    rect.right -= (size / 8);
>    rect.bottom -= (size / 8);
>    StrokeLine(rect.LeftTop(), rect.RightBottom());

I tried this code and it looks pretty good but there is a slight
variation between the two symbols on each mini monitor. I guess this
is the anti-aliasing at work again. Of course if you compare it to the
above BeOS screenshot it definitely looks a lot better.

Regarding the topic of this thread, shouldn't there be a way to undo
the antialiased line with the right combination of colors and drawing
mode? In other words a sort of inverse antialias? If not maybe we
could add something like that, assuming it is possible.

--
Regards,
Ryan