[haiku-development] Re: Beta1 and R1 release plan

  • From: Ralf Schülke <ralf.schuelke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 20:18:13 +0100

@all

I think the plan is not good and unrealizable.

The goal should be to make Haiku OS interesting things for new users
and developers.

Therefore, we should rethink some things, like the compiler question
(gcc2, gcc4 or LLVM / Clang).
We should also make sure that the code is not overloaded are never
finished with any of these platforms anyway. I would agree here too
for 64bit amd and intel cpu's and later ARMv8.

Unlike Unix, Haiku is already here and we should work out the
strengths, RT and Normal Threads colloquial and good multimedia
support with easy use for users and developers.

But the most important is that the world out there also has what is
great and this system. This means we would have to Haiku OS otherwise
show the public and explain more and more work on the system,
applications should not come from us, special from the outside world.
Development for Haiku should mean to work on the system.

Also, I would welcome a developer Refernenz Board, as the minowboard,
so that's a base there.

Conclusion:
Minowbard for  Refernez Development Boards
Arch x68_64
Bootloader, kernel and FS works
Multimedia first focus
Server and kits works
POSIX works
Base Repro works
UI Fixes and Improvements (5K Display and Display Port, Tracker,
Deskbar, Preferences, etc)
Open source first (data files and media files, drivers etc, which has
a free standart)

The Rest are Demos, Application and 3rd Party stuff and kan drop from
Haiku OS Base.