[haiku-development] Re: Beta1 and R1 release plan

  • From: Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 09:36:48 -0500

On 11/06/2014 06:04 AM, Matt wrote:

A thousand times this. I'm a developer, I'm someone who loves the command line, but when it comes to developing on Haiku I'm generally pretty lost... I've tinkered with bugs and wrote a screen saver (that's now defunct) but giving Paladin some love with easy lookup of documentation (or even system API header files) would make a huge difference. I donate on a montly basis and I have very little free time, but I am setting up a box to try and do more Haiku dev and will try to do what I can to help with R1, but in the mean time I think that what the OS needs is an easier route to entry for developers.

I don't think we should remove the "Demos". An IDE can easily go alongside the demos - no need to remove them, we've got plenty of space. Also, I don't think the developer tools should be included by default -- enough of our users are not developers and it's easy enough to install packages now that I say we leave the GCCs out of the release image.

That being said: Paladin is going to die very soon. Ithamar, John, and I managed to get it upgraded to PM and nuke a lot of unused stuff (our work can be found at [1]). It now uses layout APIs and some of the most annoying bugs were fixed, but overall, the architecture of it is really messy and cannot handle the kind of features most people expect from APIs. One reason for this is that it uses Pe as its editor (previously PalEdit, but that was just a fork of Pe). Pe's code is messy and not really suited for this task. Instead, Kacper and I started work on a new IDE called "Heidi" that uses Scintilla as a code editor and Makefiles as the project format. It's in a very early stage, but you can already build Makefile-Engine projects and launch them, as well as edit files with syntax highlighting.

Pull requests welcome!
-Augustin

[1]: https://github.com/HaikuArchives/Paladin
[2]: https://github.com/waddlesplash/Heidi