[haiku-development] Re: Bad directory node -- help!

  • From: Joseph Groover <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:13:42 -0500

[...]
PANIC: could not read block 2680438: bytesRead: -1, error: Device timeout

Welcome to Kernel Debugging Land...

To me, other than signaling a (partial?) hard-drive failure, tells me that the driver needs to be modified... PANIC should NOT be called just because we can't read from a disc! Instead, a user-legible error message should be presented: "Hard drive data sought\nAfter a brave fight was fought\nYour data may be lost!"

I think Haiku may be the only OS in modern history to panic due to failing to read an ATA block... the error needs to propagate and be handled by the kernel, which then triggers an error handler, which then triggers a proper response...

My honest opinion, anyway...

--The loon