[haiku-development] Re: Bad directory node -- help!

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 22:43:06 +0200

On 04/21/2012 06:43 AM, Pete Goodeve wrote:
I assume the reason for this would be that dd_rescue *can* skip the
badness?  Probably irrelevant now, as I have a complete backup on
a USB stick.  (Everything except the bad section, which I *did* happen
to have a zip of.)

Please be reminded that Haiku is currently in development, and is not considered a final release. As such, the file system layer currently panic at various I/O errors, that is the block cache, and BFS in this case.

These panics are all continuable with no other side effects; that it drops into KDL at all is just so that it becomes easier to notice and debug in case it's not a hardware error as it seems to be in your case. This won't happen in the final release anymore, of course. We might even want to remove those panics for the first beta, I guess.

'dd' does not use the file system layer, just the hardware driver, so that should indeed be able to ignore the error without a KDL (it may need an option to do so, though).

Bye,
   Axel.