[haiku-development] Re: Bad directory node -- help!

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 21:45:18 +0200

Rene Gollent wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I'm not set up to easily capture that (:-()  I thought I read there was
> > some way of preserving that in memory for the next boot, but I
> > could never make that work.  If there is such a way, could you please
> > give details?
>
> Axel or Ingo can correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the
> impression that that mechanism only really works for the case of early
> boot panics since the in-memory pages might be relocated someplace
> else entirely once the MMU and VM are fully initialized.

The syslog buffer is normally allocated in the boot loader and not relocated.
The feature doesn't have any restrictions as to when a panic happens. There is,
however, the problem that it doesn't work on some hardware. The current theory
for that is that on such a machine the RAM is reset during boot (whether on
purpose or by accident (temporarily unpowered) is unclear).

CU, Ingo