[haiku-development] Re: ARM-Port and GSoC

  • From: Johannes Wischert <johanneswi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 21:58:28 +0200

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I want to use the u-boot bootloader already present on the
>> beagleboard. Since u-boot provides a serial console it could be used
>> at least during boot time. It can also do elementary cpu
>> initialization (enabling cache configure RAM etc..) so it should not
>> be to complicated to get "something" to boot if I create a
>> ./src/system/boot/platform/u-boot_arm platform or something like that
>> and use the interfaces provided by u-boot there.
>
> I wanted to use the upcoming API developped for NetBSD support to use
> it as a BIOS, that is to be able to call it from zbeos, as the normal
> way is to just hand over control and let the loader take over, but we
> need some more support from the firmware.

Yes found something about netbsd+u-boot I will also have a closer look there

> U-Boot already supports "standalone" binaries that can use its API and
> return to it, but it requires restricting register usage for ex, so I'm
> not sure how far into zbeos it could still be used.

I started to look at that standalone binary thing it would be quite
helpfull for getting started but sooner or later it will have to talk
to the hardware directly

>> For the kernel it gets a bit more complicated but the most important
>> files to be ported would be in src/system/kernel/arch if I understand
>> the code correctly. I will have to learn a lot about ARM
>> assembler/internals since the only embedded processors I really
>> worked
>> with until now were SH2A and msp430 ;).  Since I would concentrate on
>> the serial device as only device (and most probably at least sd card
>
> Someone started on an SD driver, not sure how far it is yet.
> Another option is to boot from the network.

boot from network would be quite usefull for development I see there
is some code for netboot already present is it in a working state? I
looked at some other SD-driver sources and I think it's quite easy to
implement and the beagleboard has no ethernet port so we would need a
working USB-Stack and working USB-Ethernet drivers... So I'm more
inclined towards using the sd card.