[haiku-development] Re: ARM-Port and GSoC

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 23:23:31 +0200 CEST

Hi Johannes,

Johannes Wischert <johanneswi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As some of you might have seen on irc I am currently reviving the
> ARM-Port of Haiku. I already got the toolchain to compile (but I
> don't
> know if it produces usefull code yet ;) ).  Sine I have quite some
> free time this summer I thought I could continue this porting effort
> as a GSoC project offcourse this will be a giant task so the project
> goals should be choosen so that they are achievable.
> By now I am targeting the beagleboard platform since it is a
> relatively cheap and well suported platform. I hope to at least get
> the kernel to boot and a serial port driver.
> What do you think of this idea? To much/not enough for GSoC ?

If you only get the kernel to boot, that might not fill up 3 months;
but also have it detect the devices, and even load modules from disk
(which requires a few drivers) sounds like it could easily fill up this
time.
I think this would be a nice and welcome GSoC project.

> I want to use the u-boot bootloader already present on the
> beagleboard. Since u-boot provides a serial console it could be used
> at least during boot time. It can also do elementary cpu
> initialization (enabling cache configure RAM etc..) so it should not
> be to complicated to get "something" to boot if I create a
> ./src/system/boot/platform/u-boot_arm platform or something like that
> and use the interfaces provided by u-boot there.

If you are using u-boot, you should actually not limit the platform to
ARM, but have an u-boot platform, that eventually has an arch
directory, similar to how it works for OpenFirmware. U-boot supports
many more CPU architectures, and most of the boot loader platform code
should be reusable between them.

Bye,
   Axel.