[haiku-development] Re: ARM-Port and GSoC

  • From: Johannes Wischert <johanneswi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:23:51 +0200

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Johannes Wischert
> <johanneswi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I hope to at least get
>> the kernel to boot and a serial port driver.
>> What do you think of this idea? To much/not enough for GSoC ?
>
> Can you go into more detail of what you think is involved to go from
> possibly working toolchain  to  booting kernel+serial port driver?
>
> --mmadia

I want to use the u-boot bootloader already present on the
beagleboard. Since u-boot provides a serial console it could be used
at least during boot time. It can also do elementary cpu
initialization (enabling cache configure RAM etc..) so it should not
be to complicated to get "something" to boot if I create a
./src/system/boot/platform/u-boot_arm platform or something like that
and use the interfaces provided by u-boot there.

For the kernel it gets a bit more complicated but the most important
files to be ported would be in src/system/kernel/arch if I understand
the code correctly. I will have to learn a lot about ARM
assembler/internals since the only embedded processors I really worked
with until now were SH2A and msp430 ;).  Since I would concentrate on
the serial device as only device (and most probably at least sd card
or something to load the os...) driver development should not be so
complicated since there are already open source drivers for them and
both serial ports and sd cards are not really complicated devices.

  Johannes(pfoetchen)