[haiku-development] APM and shutdown

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:41:36 +0200

Hello,

Through r26937 I noticed that the kernel settings file has an option to enable APM. Enabling it works fine in QEMU (gcc4), in the form that QEMU exits when shutdown is finished. Same for real hardware (gcc2). A ticket for the shutdown feature was recently turned down as "invalid":
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/2179
Is there still a reason for not turning on APM by default? Axel reported it not working for one out of four of his machines three years ago (r16152) and Jack wrote in #2179 it panicked for him in the past, so maybe that could be re-tested to see if it's fixed now or specific to certain hardware?

Anyhow, having this enabled and working for the Alpha would seem like a good idea to me, since not shutting down properly can be perceived as inconvenient for people used to it from Windows, Linux etc. It would give a bad final impression, unless the user restarts. Not to mention that it saves energy.

We have had reports of certain pieces of hardware leading to errors before, but to my knowledge that has not lead to, e.g., IDE/SATA being disabled on all machines just because of a JMicron controller not working somewhere. If we don't test APM because we're unaware of its existence or because tickets indicating such an unresolved problem get closed (and are thus no longer listed), then we are unlikely to find out where it fails and where it doesn't, and hence will not see much progress there...

Andreas