[haiku-development] Re: APM and shutdown

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:54:36 +0200 CEST

hmmm, top posting again... hard to kill habits.

> yet i think i was told that 'to implement these changes would
> significantly DELAY the R1 release date.'

At the time the choice was made there were still lot of boards
supporting APM, now most only support ACPI anyway so it shouldn't have
any impact onthem.

> i found it ran fine otherwise under leopard intel and qemu (Q). i
> have
> yet to test on ppc, should yeild same result on my tower under
> ubuntu.
>
> An INTEL is an INTEL no matter what OS you use.

I'm sorry but what does this have to do with APM ?
Besides an intel is not always an intel in the sence of PC, intel Macs
use EFI to boot, which is not yet supported. Or you'd need to run
Bootcamp or some other BIOS emulator.

> I would RECOMMEND this and a bootable image or drive as 'priorities'.
> Why QEMU a dev enviroment when you can boot it native? QEMU uses up
> more

Because when you only have one dev box you don't want to spend time
rebooting (even more to linux) to get back to editing the code to
change one line and compile and test again.
Using QEMU still makes it much faster for devs.

> Most VESA resolutions are accepted by a majority of cards nowadays
> anyway, and this is what by default Ubuntu goes to if it for some
> reason
> cant (wont in my case on the laptop) find your video card chipset.

Which is exactly what we do.
Did you actually tried ?

> i would say that most everything else is already there, just needs
> some
> tweaking. Maybe NET needs some help, but if you're a dev, (who cares)
> hell as a user, I've delt with less than perfect OS setups. NET is
> good,
> but for dev enviroment, not necessarily necessary. By default, NET
> with
> OSX86 Intel Leopard (not apple's default, the spinoff version) is
> usually NOT working, you have to tweak and poke at it to get it
> working.
> For production, though, you NEED it. Maybe R2?

I'm sorry, but despite ranking 940 out of 990 at TOEIC I did not
understand a single line.
What are you talking about ?
Actually after 4 reads I think you mean our network support doesn't
work for you right away, but it doesn't either in OSX. Well, it's still
not even alpha, so it's not like it should always be. How about telling
what doesn't work instead ?
Or even submitting patches ;)

François.