[haiku-development] Re: 3dfx Video Driver Question

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:28:37 +0200

> I don't remember if I have such code in the MediaPlayer, but in theory,
> there is an API for obtaining overlay_restrictions from the app_server
> which includes minimum and maximum scaling.

indeed: BBitmap::GetOverlayRestrictions().

> MediaPlayer could then just have those impossible scaling options disabled,
> and also lock the window size accordingly.

AFAICT, such check is not done. Neither in MediaPlayer's
VideoView::SetBitmap(), neither below.
The scale overlay restriction is purely ignored for the moment.
When in overlaymode, we could disable scales not supported in the
menu, or we could just fallback to drawing bitmap for scale out of
overlay limits.

> But to answer your question, I'd prefer if the driver
> falls back to showing only a portion of the video in case an application
> ignores the restrictions.

+1

With graphic software issues, it's always easier to figure out what
happens when you can see the misbehavior instead of a blank screen (or
area for that matter).

Bye,
  Philippe.