[haiku-development] Re: 3dfx Video Driver Question

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 16:27:32 -0400

Philippe Houdoin wrote:
But to answer your question, I'd prefer if the driver
falls back to showing only a portion of the video in case an application
ignores the restrictions.

+1

With graphic software issues, it's always easier to figure out what
happens when you can see the misbehavior instead of a blank screen (or
area for that matter).

The 3dfx driver is set up to display whatever part of the image can be displayed if the scaling is out of range.

However, it should be noted that there is one instance where a blank image will be displayed. This occurs when the screen color depth (set by the Screen preflet) is 8 bits/pixel and a video is to be displayed by the MediaPlayer. Under ZETA 1.21 a video displays fine when the screen color depth is 8 bpp; thus, I think that this might be a problem with the Haiku MediaPlayer instead of the video driver. Anyway, this is a very minor problem since I think that it would be rare that someone would select a color depth of 8 bpp in the Screen Preferences.

-- Gerald