[haiku-depot-web] Re: API Over-HTTP Protocol

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 18:31:14 +0200

On 09/25/2013 10:00 PM, Andrew Lindesay wrote:
Good point; to implement JSON-RPC you would need to have a JSON parser /
formatter as well as some means of marshalling and demarshalling the RPC
envelopes as JSON to go over HTTP POSTs.  Creating a JSON parser /
formatter that just goes to "nodes" that represent the JSON structure
directly (like DOM nodes) is some work, but probably within reason. Have
a look at http://www.jsonrpc.org and have a think about how you would
feel about implementing this C++ side.

There are several C and C++ implementations for this already [1]. I'd be surprised, if there wasn't one that can easily be (or already has been) ported to Haiku. I guess the same goes for other popular protocols (SOAP,...).

So I don't think the protocol is that important. AFAIK they all are pretty similar save for the concrete syntax. Since the HaikuDepot web service API probably won't be that big, it can as well be specified abstractly for now and the concrete protocol can be chosen or replaced later.

I'm much more interested in the server-side technologies, since those aren't as easily replaced. Also, does the current plan include a website, or only the web service?

CU, Ingo

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON-RPC#Implementations