[haiku-depot-web] Re: API Over-HTTP Protocol

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 11:26:29 -0400

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 27.09.2013 13:44, Andrew Lindesay wrote:

>> It is a bit tricky; my experience in this area is around Java, Scott's
>> expertise is in Python/Django and Joseph is working with PHP but is
>> interested in other options.

Yeah, I spend most of my time with PHP since I deal with a lot of
CMS-related work. The ones I spend most of my time in (Drupal,
Joomla!, Wordpress, and concrete5) are all written in PHP.  That said,
I spend most of my time in PHP out of necessity, not because it's my
choice.  You can make it fast and it can work well if you can work
around its issues.  That said, as I replied in another thread, I'm
willing to use anything else, as I don't think it will be the best fit
for our situation.

>> If I were taking a java approach, I would use java server-side
>> technology like spring, guava, cayenne, jsonrpc4j and tomcat
>> (self-contained).  Making some assumptions, I'd probably build the web
>> user interface with AngularJS as a "single page" application and would
>> back the data into Postgres.

This all sounds quite interesting, as eventually I'm going to have to
interface with WildFly for a project at work.  Granted, you are
talking about different technology, but I wouldn't be opposed to using
Java.  Out of curiosity, any reason you'd prefer Postgres over
something like MySQL (well, or Percona or MariaDB)?  I haven't had a
need to use Postgres ever, yet am still curious about it.  Do you like
it due to philosophical or performance reasons?

>> I don't have working experience with Python/Django or PHP and the
>> reality is that I am not going to have time to learn those languages for
>> this.  If the consensus is to run with something not-java, then for me
>> it's probably best I step out and I'm fine with that.
>>
>> What are others' thoughts?
>

> Well, one thing is that you have been quite active, putting thought into and
> creating these charts. I'd really regret if you were not on the team.

I agree.  That said, I'd like us to make the best choice we can,
whether that is Java or Python or Go, etc.

> I haven't gotten around to look into and reply to all issues. For example, I
> haven't followed up on Joseph's suggesting to look at LaunchPad:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~canonical-ca-hackers/ubuntu-webcatalog/trunk/files

I admit I haven't looked into it much either.  Just the Ubuntu folks
share that page clearly from their Ubuntu Apps Directory, so maybe
using something like this would speed up things for us if we were to
utilize a decent chunk of it..

> So Scott and Joseph, if you have been waiting for me, sorry about that!
> Maybe you can provide your thoughts on what you think about Java as a
> platform for this.

I think Java is fine for the backend stuff (mostly communicating with
the repos), but using something like Django for the front-end would
certainly be nice.  I think using Python technologies could ultimately
accomplish anything we need, especially with things like Django and
Twisted existing.

> I have been looking a bit into Django frameworks, and found that
> interesting, too. But I did want to learn more about using Java for a web
> app before, too.

Sure, let's not discount anything prematurely, as I think it would be
a mistake to just make a rushed decision that instead ends up wasting
a lot of our time.