[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Testing DocumentViewer

  • From: ciprian.nedisan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 14:34:03 +0100

>1. I don't like that clicking on the app icon launches an "Open"
>dialog box. It should just launch the app itself.  Let the user
>open what he wants from the MENU.

Yes, I was thinking the same, that the application will start, and
will
show the last opened documents, and the user can choose to open
them.
I'm not sure if a user needs a menu to open an additional file,
because he can simply use the normal file-browser to open a new
document, and then if he wants, he can stack/tile it to the
previous one. I guess it would be also an idea, to stack
automatically every new opened document (with the file-browser) to
the previous stacked documents.

>2. There is no MENU!! How can I open another document once the app
>has launched.  How is the user supposed to do much of anything
>else without a MENU?  All functions of the app should be available
>from the menu.  You could have teh menu be able to be hidden with
>ALT+M if you want, but only having icons to select functions will
>be very problematic.  There would simply be to many icons to
>navigate and they would take up to much space.  The lack of a menu
>makes navigating the app's functions difficult.

Using the ribbon-like menu, all icons have enough space, and they
are organized.
Ok. I add an menu, that will be by default automatically hidden,
but i'm quite
sure that in practice it will not be used very often by users.

>3. There is no obvious way to get rid of the sidebar.  Yes I found
>out that dragging the border works, but it is not intuitive. There
>should be an icon or MENU-item/key-combo that is obvious to the
>user.

Yes, I wanted to have a way to close the sidebar with a key-
combination, but i think at the moment it is not possible, I think
the api doesnt allow it yet (i guess it's a bug). The splitter is
collapsible, but setting the size to zero doesnt close it. But yes,
in future this will work too.

>4. I'm really not a fan of the icon ribbon bar. Especially the big
>icons.  They just get in the way and take up to much space.  As
>does the big red X. That is totally unneeded.  If a user wants to
>quit/exit the app there are other methods, ALT+Q or clicking the
>'close button'.  Overall, I would prefer smaller icons, maybe
>16x16.

My main idea is to make this application easy to use with a touch-
screen.
I think haiku should really start to get more ready for the touch-
screen,
and not being too much centered to keyboard. I'm even thinking to
implement for scrolling pages a functionality like in android.
Yes, the size of the icons can be adjusted, but i think 16x16 is
really too small.
I will add an option for making the ribbon auto-hiding itself, in
that case the ribbon should not be that much in your way.

>Another would be combine the "home"
>and "magnifier" ribbons.

Yes, at the moment, it could look like a good idea, but the
"magnifier" (in fact , "view"), will get more symbols, like zoom
too selection and symbols for choosing the page-layout (for
example, single-page/contineous pages, book-view (two pages next to
each other)  and so on.
In conclusion, I don't think it's a good idea, to put as much as
possible together. I think it's better to try to group all
symbols/functionality as much as possible in appropriate groups, so
that the user can find the symbols/functionality easily.