[hackpgh-discuss] Re: PCB class

  • From: Doug Philips <doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 10:13:59 -0400

Hey Matt,

Glad you're still alive and kickin'!

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Matthew Beckler <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As many of you know I'm going to be teaching a PCB class with Kicad coming
> up in a few weeks. While it's a good software EDA package, and I know it
> well, what I'm struggling most with is to determine the proper scope.

Given the lack of advertising, promotion, etc. on this, I'm thinking
we'll probably only get shop members at the class. That'd be OK, but I
wanted to raise the possibility of postponing the class date to allow
for more outreach/PR, etc. as well as getting the scope worked out?

> think a good group discussion should work just fine. I'm also planning to be
> at the shop this Friday to work on the class plan (and ideally FiniSH IT!!!)

Perfect!

> Morning session: How to go from a breadboard circuit to a schematic
>  How schematics work, how we represent real work parts with symbols
>  Start with a real circuit that I can make on a breadboard
>    Perhaps a little uC-based RGB led toy?
>  Learn how to enter schematics into Kicad

That all sounds good.

>  Learn about how to make your own new schematic symbols

That seems kind of ambitious? Do we have some kind of open source
library that we can contribute back to?
I'm just concerned that this one item alone could take most of an hour...

> Afternoon session: How to go from a schematic to a PCB
... Most of this is over my head, so I have no idea how ambitious (or
mundane!) it is...
>    Maybe talk about component selection?
Wouldn't that be part of the morning class going from breadboard to
schematic? (Again, I'm a noob, so perhaps I don't understand...)

>    Maybe have a "come back and solder up your pcb" 2-3 weeks later?

Or maybe piggy back on to another learn to solder class? (we'd still
limit the total class size)

>    Needs testing with a real live victim

That's a great idea!

-=Doug