[hackpgh-discuss] PCB class

  • From: Matthew Beckler <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 17:31:08 -0400

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry that I've missed the past two meetings. The weeks before makerfaire are always a little overbooked...also trying to get my PhD proposal ready to go so I can someday escape^H^H^H^H graduate.

As many of you know I'm going to be teaching a PCB class with Kicad coming up in a few weeks. While it's a good software EDA package, and I know it well, what I'm struggling most with is to determine the proper scope.

I know that some of the shop members are very interested in making their own PCBs, so I'd like to get some feedback on this potential outline for teaching the class. Feel free to email me privately if you prefer, but I think a good group discussion should work just fine. I'm also planning to be at the shop this Friday to work on the class plan (and ideally FiniSH IT!!!)

Take a look at the outline below, and let me know what you think. Is there something missing? Something that isn't very important that we could leave out?

Thanks a bunch for your feedback!

-Matthew

--------------------------------------

After some initial discussion with folks in the shop, I think this is a good starting point:

Morning session: How to go from a breadboard circuit to a schematic
  How schematics work, how we represent real work parts with symbols
  Start with a real circuit that I can make on a breadboard
    Perhaps a little uC-based RGB led toy?
  Learn how to enter schematics into Kicad
  Learn about how to make your own new schematic symbols
  Might only be two hours?
    I'll have to practice this part to see how long it will take

Afternoon session: How to go from a schematic to a PCB
  How to select the proper footprint for each schematic symbol
  How to re-arrange the pile of footprints given when you start
  Considerations WRT trace width and clearance, hole size, etc
  How to manually route traces between your footprint pads
  How to use the auto-router
  How to figure the bounds of your PCB
  How to create a custom footprint
  How to do fills like for ground planes
  How to use the design-rule checker
  How to generate gerber files for submission to the board house
Then we would submit them (via me) for fabrication, so the students can have their actual design in their hands
    We would probably want to make a group order of the parts
    Maybe talk about component selection?
    Maybe have a "come back and solder up your pcb" 2-3 weeks later?
  This session would probably be at least three hours, perhaps four
    Needs testing with a real live victim