[gptalk] Re: gpupdate question

  • From: jfvanmeter@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:33:59 +0000

Hello everyone, and thank you all for the help. So far I've been unable to find
the solution for this issue.

the server is a Win2k3 server that was put in a OU that had my  XP Workstation
policy link to it, that policy was applied to the server.

Then it was noted that the server was in the wrong OU and it was moved and it
now is receiving the Win2k3 Server Policy.

I've logged onto the server with both the local admin account (LLLLL.AAAAA) and
my domain account
(DDDDDD.AAAAAA) and it doesn't seam to matter.

There are settings and acl's that were applied from the XP Policy that are not
correct for a Win2k3 server, and since the server policy doesn't replace them I
believe this maybe causing strange problems.

When I run Process Monitor and try to run MBSA or Fport I'm not seening any
access denied messages. The only thing to note is the following registry key.

When I run fport, proc mon logs the following
hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\imagefile execurion
options\fport.exe name not found

When i run MBSA, proc mon logs the following
HKLM\SAM\SAM\Domains\account\Users\Names\LLLLLL.AAAAA (<--- the account of the
renamed local admin that is applied from my XP Workstation policy) name not
found

Could it be the user profile still being named LLLLLLL.AAAAAA that is causing
the problem.

I'm getting ready to turn on more logging on the server and see what that find.

Take Care --John

From: "Martin Hugo" <Martin_Hugo@xxxxxxxx>