[gptalk] Re: "Extra Registry Settings"

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:54:09 -0800

Stephen-

If those extra registry settings are truly the result of some custom ADMs
that are no longer available, then it is a bit tough to get just them out of
the registry.pol file that holds those settings.  There are a few ways to go
about this. 1st, create a new custom ADM that exposes those settings for the
purpose of removing them. 2nd, edit the registry.pol file directly using a
Unicode-capable editor and removing them manually (problematic because
unless you remove the right stuff, you can easily corrupt this file).  3rd,
delete the GPO and start over-obviously less than favorable.

Unless you are really comfortable going into that .pol file, I think your
best bet is #1.

Darren

Darren Mar-Elia

For comprehensive Windows Group Policy Information, check out www.gpoguy.com
<http://www.gpoguy.com/> -- the best source for GPO FAQs, video training,
tools and whitepapers. Also check out the Windows
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735622175/qid=1122367169/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bb
s_1/104-1133146-9411929?v=glance&n=283155>  Group Policy Guide, the
definitive resource for Group Policy information.

Group Policy Management solutions at SDM Software
<http://www.sdmsoftware.com/>