[gps-talkusers] Re: receivers

  • From: "liam" <liam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:42:08 +0100

Maybe the next market development is for the braille note gps to become
available on PDAs under windows CE.  I suspect that over time the niche
for specific PDAs for the blind will become more limitted simply because
of prices.  If there is an accessible PDA with speech and it costs less
than half the price of a blind specific PDA then market forces may well
come to bear.  The Packmate for example kind of looses it's point when
you can get the same functionality for much less.    If pocket HAL is
truly platform independnet then it breaks the market domination of the
freedom scientific alternative which isn't.  And I'd conclude therefore
that where the PDAs goes then the gps may well follow.   There is still
a market need for blind speicific applications but I suspect the
underlying hardware may change significantly in the next three to five
years.  It isn't quite there yet.  In that time frame then I suspect
we'll see OCR and GPS on portable note takers as a minimum.   Internet
access and mp3 players are kind of old hat now.  GPS functionality
pioneered by Mike and his gang  has kind of thrown a quantum spanner in
to the whole portable pda market.  Note takers haven't changed much
really in the last fifteen years.  A few cosmetic  tweaks but
functionality was a bit basic.  I'd buy a new note taker, carry it
around for a month and then get bored of it.  The PK with the GPS
however is rarely beyond arm's length.   It's a truly useful bit of kit
rather than a bit of blindy fashion wear.

- Liam

- Liam