[gps-talkusers] Re: receivers

  • From: Chris G <chrisg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:40:23 -0400

hi,
you can tell when it's on or off.
--
Chris G <chrisg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:21:07 -0700
"meearls" <meearls@xxxxxxx> wrote:

m> Why would you want a gps with a mechanical switch? I mean what would that
m> accomplish?
m>
m> Mary Ellen Earls
m> Remember! Today is the Tomorrow you thought about yesterday.
m> ----- Original Message -----
m> From: "liam" <liam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
m> To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
m> Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 1:43 AM
m> Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: receivers
m>
m>
m> > Richard,
m> >
m> > Caretec make the light probe.  It's an off the shelf product.   Yes it's
m> > more junk to carry around.  I guess the logical step is a light probe
m> > program for your mobile phone which probably has a camera built in
m> > anyway.
m> >
m> > The caretec probe will tell you the colour of the light on the gps unit
m> > and whether it is on or off or flashing.     It's a worthwhile piece of
m> > junk to carry if you need to work with traffic or crossing lights too.
m> > Yes sure a gps with a mechanical switch would be handy but it's not an
m> > option  as yet.
m> >
m> > -= Liam
m> >
m> >
m> > -----Original Message-----
m> > From: gps-talkusers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
m> > [mailto:gps-talkusers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Myers
m> > Sent: 23 July 2005 02:13
m> > To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
m> > Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: receivers
m> >
m> >
m> > Hello, Liam,
m> > A light probe is not a bad idea, but just more junk to carry around, and
m> > who
m> > is going to design it, and how are you going to use it if you do not
m> > know
m> > which light you are looking at?  Some pretty tough questions.  Better
m> > yet,
m> > what is wrong with an on-off switch or design a receiver that is on all
m> > the
m> > time it is plugged in, like the Earthmate?  Granted, the Earthmate does
m> > have
m> > a light, but I think it just tells if the system is getting a signal or
m> > something like that, and your software will tell you that soon enough.
m> >
m> > Dick Myers
m> >
m> > From: "liam" <liam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
m> > Reply-To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
m> > To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
m> > Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: receivers
m> > Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:52:51 +0100
m> >
m> > Use a light probe to see if the lights are on on the receiver.  Caretec
m> > do one that is a colour identifier and light sensor or probe
m> >
m> > Use x cord to get an idea of where you are.  Or hit F to find the
m> > nearest points of interest.
m> >
m> > - Liam
m> >
m> > -----Original Message-----
m> > From: gps-talkusers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
m> > [mailto:gps-talkusers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wendy Miller
m> > Slominsky
m> > Sent: 22 July 2005 16:09
m> > To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
m> > Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: receivers
m> >
m> >
m> > I just got the PK and for sure I love it and spoiled???? O yes, it's so
m> > easily carried around and so nice to not have wires hanging all over.
m> > The question is how people have learned to tell when the GPS is on or
m> > off?  There is no sound and all I can think is checking if the PK has a
m> > signal.  Also do you have to have it turned on all the time when it's
m> > charging?
m> > Second user question is how to turn on the unit and find out where you
m> > are
m> > if you're in an unformiliar place, do not know the town or county just
m> > the
m> > state.  Is there a way to have GPS identify for you where you are?
m> > Thanks
m> > At 11:11 AM 7/21/2005, you wrote:
m> > >Yes, but Humanware Canada already has accessable pda's.
m> > >I am intrigued with Maestro but I have to admit once you have started
m> > >using the pk you are so utterly spoiled it isn't funny.
m> > >
m> > >Mary Ellen Earls
m> > >Remember! Today is the Tomorrow you thought about yesterday.
m> > >----- Original Message ----- From: "John Gallagher"
m> > ><john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
m> > >To: "gps-talkusers-freelists.org" <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
m> > >Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 1:29 AM
m> > >Subject: [gps-talkusers] receivers
m> > >
m> > >
m> > >>Hi all,
m> > >>Was at sight village yesterday and did not see any other gps
m> > receivers.
m> > >>I found it so busy that I did not try and see if my fortuna works
m> > with
m> >
m> > >>the mpower or street talker.
m> > >>it was very noisy and crowded and a real look at anything is
m> > difficult.
m> > >>very interesting with sendero testing out the new receivers.
m> > >>I wonder if Debbie can tell me the name of the receiver she is using
m> > and
m> > >>if it has the new chip set?
m> > >>managed to look at the talking pda's or should I say a pda with some
m> > access.
m> > >>There is to be the codefactory software and dolphin software on pdas
m> > in
m> > >>the next few months.
m> > >>maybe the access to gps on pda's will not be as good as our wayfinder
m> > or
m> > >>definitely the braillenote gps system.
m> > >>I feel portability is everything when using gps. it's not so bad if
m> > that
m> > >>is all you carry but the pk is so small and you can use an ear piece.
m> > >>look forward to the future.
m> > >>
m> > >>
m> > >>