[gps-talkusers] Re: lobalsat verses Royaltek receivers

  • From: "Baracco, Andrew W" <Andrew.Baracco@xxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:52:28 -0800

Hi Gavin,

I use the Royaltek 2010, which is the predecessor of the 2110.  As far
as I know, they are both SIRF III receivers, and do not really know the
difference between the 2010 and 2110.  The 2010 has long battery life,
and is very solid in terms of acquiring and holding signal.  Here in L.
A. where there are a lot of hills and tall buildings, it almost never
loses signal.  In fact, you can often still acquire and retain signal
even indoors.  My only complaint is that many of these SIRF III
receivers have something called static navigation, which means that they
continue to try to update position even when you are stopped.  This can
pose problems for pedestrians, sometimes giving false position reports.
Usually, this corrects quickly once you start moving.  i understand that
there is a way to turn this feature off by establishing a bluetooth
connection with your PC and using the software on the companion CD, but
i have taken a look at this software, and it is not screen reader
friendly, and you really need to know what you are doing.  Also, even if
you make the change, the setting will revert to the default if your
battery goes flat.  This is a problem with the Globalsat also.  As for
which is better, I think that it's kind of like asking which is better,
a Ford or a Chevy.  I think you will get responses kind of split down
the middle, but one thing I can assure you of, is that either one will
yield such a significant improvement over the old Earthmate receiver
that you will wonder why you waited so long.

Andy