[gps-talkusers] Re: New Sense Nav with Voice Sense user.

  • From: don bishop <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:15:11 -0700

Hi Dianne,

Great to see you here and glad you're back into the sendero gps family again.

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions, but here are a few for starters.

First of all, I do have sensenav here as well as an old PK running the latest sendero gps software. The commands on the two are a bit different, but the results are pretty much the same.

For me, the default settings give too much information. I turn announce poi's off as I find it just gets too distracting, and if I want to know about nearby points of interest I can always query the system manually.

I also set the direction announcements to clock face rather than cardinal directions, but that's really a personal preference.

I leave the announce nearest intersection turned on and also sometimes set the repeat nearest intersection on as well, depending on the situation.

Virtual mode is a great thing as well because you can explore your local area or wherever without going out and maybe getting lost. <smile> Besides, it's more comfortable sitting in a room exploring virtually if it's raining or too darned hot outside.

As you suggest, setting up pedestrian routes for yourself is a good idea and can help keep you on track. Just set your current position and then your destination position and create a pedestrian route. The gps should let you know if you wander off route.

The manual is really quite well written and I really suggest giving the important parts a read.

Also, there is an audio tutorial on the sendero site which is really very good. It was done with the pk or one of the Humanware products, but it really does apply to the sensenav as well. Chris Grabowski did a terrific job on it, and does clearly explain a lot of things along with some live examples. Check it out.

As for a small speaker, you might give Sendero a call and see what they have now. Also, I believe radio shack carries small speakers which might work.

That should at least be enough to get you started. There are people on here with all skill levels at using the Sendero gps, so don't hesitate to ask any questions or bring up any problems you may run into. That's what the list is for.

It is a complex system with keystrokes to do all sorts of things, but I find that for most use, you really end up only using a relatively small number of them. And also, don't forget the help system built right into the program.

Enjoy your gps and let us know how it goes,

Don

On 10/10/2010 3:35 PM, Dianne B. Phelps wrote:
Good Afternoon, List Members,

I just replaced my Voice Sense BT with the newest model which also
contains Sense Nav. Sense Nav is my reason for doing this. I used
Sendero GPS products near the beginning of the product’s history on a
Voice Note QT some eight or nine years ago and was horribly overwhelmed
with keystrokes to have it operate, hearing it and managing with a very
spirited guide dog at the time. I then tried Trekker, which, when I
could get my unit to work properly was fine. Without boring you with the
details of that, let’s just say that it did not work reliably for me.
So, I have come back to the Sendero Product because of its longevity of
success and because the Voice Sense unit is small enough to be carried
easily.

I should tell you that I have about a 70% hearing loss on my left side
and a weakened left leg which requires me to not only travel with my
guide dog, but to use a walking balance cane besides. Yes, you got it!
We are a bit of an old lady mess here, but fortunately, we are still
alive and kicking and making the best of things.

I now have an easier to use guide dog with whom I want to do more
walking, but we live in an area where streets wind around and sometimes
change directions and can get one with hearing foibles very confused.
Then, I begin to drive my guide dog and myself nuts.

I want my GPS system, among other things, to simply help me explore and
keep on track as I move through my neighborhood. I pretty much want to
set things up to announce streets and intersections as we come to them,
perhaps points of interest, but I need not to have to do too much keying
as I walk if possible.

I am thinking of using Look Around features with root creation to get
started and am wondering if those of you with more experience could
advise me as to whether this is a correct approach or not. Any of your
suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Most of you, I am sure, are
power users. I just want to keep on track as I explore and know where I
am so that I can sensibly get myself back for starters.

Also, do any of you know of a better carrying case besides the one that
routinely comes with the Voice Sense? I fear that I am going to need the
unit closer to my good ear in order to hear it on the street unless I
can find a small speaker which I can connect easily to place on my
collar near my good ear.

Good Lord! I sound like a decrepit old thing here. I am only 60 years
old, but had an accident years ago which complicated my travel. I have
continued to travel, but just want to make things better so I will do
more just because we are blessed so that we can.

Again, any advice or thoughts any of you might offer will be greatly
appreciated. Tell me about things that have worked for you as you
started. What to you find works best, etc.? How can you set things up so
your hands can be free for(in my case) using a walking cane, working
guide dogs and so on?

Thank you for any thoughts you are willing to share.

Sincerely,

Dianne B. Phelps with Guide Dog, Hibiscus,

Napa, California

http://www.eset.com

"unsubscribe" in the Subject.